April 6, 2018
Representational Painting Techniques: An Introduction to Painting
by Perley Rideau Lifelong Learning
Price: $150 (incl. parking)
Instructor: Katherine McNenly
Class Size: Up to 15 participants
This course provides a more traditional approach to painting. Participants will learn the fundamentals of drawing, colour mixing and using materials, as well as how to build a painting from underpainting to overpainting and glazing. The course teaches participants how to see form and structure and how to approach realistic images. The instructor will provide short demonstrations to illustrate important concepts. Participants will have a choice of subject matter, including portrait, landscape or still life.
Katherine McNenly is a B.F.A. graduate of York University. She studied privately with John Angel, a Portrait Artist and Art Educator in Toronto, and completed her training at the Atelier Cecil-Graves in Florence, Italy. Katherine specializes in portrait and still life, but also includes landscape painting in her practice as a professional artist. She currently teaches painting courses for the City of Ottawa and the Kanata Art Club.
- Acrylic paints. Paint brands that are appropriate for beginners include Winsor Newton Galeria, Liquitex Basics and Pebeo Studio. You may be able to find sets which contain all the colours you need. A good starting palette for beginners includes the following colours: Titanium White, Ivory Black, Raw Umber, Yellow Ochre, Cad Yellow Medium Hue, Cad Red Medium Hue, Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna.
- An assortment of brushes.
- A small palette knife.
- A small bottle of acrylic medium. You may choose either matte or satin.
- Palette paper. Alternatively, you may choose to purchase a “stay wet palette” which keeps paint from drying too quickly.
- Paper towel and a couple of jars for cleaning your brushes.
- One canvas that is approximately 12x14 inches.
Your instructor recommends DeSerres Art Store for a wide selection and low prices.
Date and Time
Duration: 6 weeks
Day & Time: Fridays, 9:30am – 12pm
Dates: April 6, 13, 20, 27, May 4, 11
Room: Games Room
The Perley and Rideau Veterans' Health Centre
1750 Russell Road, Ottawa, ON K1G 5Z6